Monday, February 18, 2008

February 18, 2008

Boy am I sore, and this cold isn't going away either.  Shame, since I'm getting on a plane for Dallas tomorrow.  Hope DayQuil works. 

Today was a light day despite the 55 degree sunny weather we're having.  I just didn't have the strength and energy to do anything.  Besides, the next plan is to dig up an area and put Mel's Mix into it and place my potato bins on top.  I don't want to dig up my rose garden until my Aunt tells me where she planted bulbs.  I didn't even know she did it until they started sprouting last weekend and she mentioned it. 

All I did outside was go out early to see that sure enough, frost covered my raised beds for their first morning since dirt was put in them.  Good thing I didn't plant anything yesterday.  While I was out there, I finally saw the coffee grounds in full daylight.  I don't know if it was the freezing temperatures or the humidity, but they all clumped together into cakes and balls.  So I took a half hour and went around each bed and squished up all the big chunks of coffee grounds  and mix some of it into the top layer of dirt.  It looks good.  Now for some rain to saturate the ground and start releasing the nitrogen.  We're expecting clear skys until Wednesday, when we'll have showers for the rest of the week.

I still don't have any water on that side of the house and doubt any of my hoses will reach.  However, according to a brief discussion with my dad yesterday, the PVC piping to put a faucet in my garden area should only cost about $30 and take less than a day.  I will probably do that in early March so I can water after I plant. 

My brother said he saw an add for pre-made rain barrels for $55 in the paper yesterday.  Not bad considering the instructions for making your own say it should cost $120 each.  I'll have to think about that.  Mostly where I'd put them.

Well, I won't have another post until after I get back Friday.  I won't have internet access, nor time with all the conference responsibilities.  Enjoy the week and hope you get out into your garden while I'm working.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear that you are sick :-( and having to travel is even worse. Maybe you'll be doing better by the time that you make it back home. Those rain barrels seem like an awfully good price..... Hope you have a good trip and get well!!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete