Tuesday, July 1, 2008

July 1, 2008

First off, thank you all for your comments. I appreciate the information.  It's good to know I'm not alone out there with similar issues and experiences.  Again it also lets me know people are enjoying my foibles.  hehe.

As for the details of the coments, I actually thought of the broccoli and cauliflower one.  Good to get confirmation of it.  Next year my broccoli and caulflower get put in the small bed (#3) with peas behind it.  The peas aren't nearly the cool-weather crop that broccoli and caulflower are but at least they will be in the ground before my beans or cukes.  It'll also mean less of those veggies as the bed is only 3 feet wide.  That's ok though, since I don't plan on planting shelling peas next year (unless they're too irresistable to pass up) because they mix with my others and I can't tell them apart hehe.  And I like the idea of simply picking and eating rather than shelling before consuming my garden snack.

It's also good to know the cukes are probably fine.  Hard to imagine our weather sunburning plants that have been in the ground since it snowed, but I'm all for watching it and waiting for the next shoe to fall (or not). Thanks!

Sorry that today is a picture free post.  I didn't get home until dusk and my camera doesn't take great pictures at night. If you want pictures, scroll down to yesterday. I can guaranty you my garden hasn't changed much since then.

Actually, that reminds me of a funny story.  After seeing all my lettuce I decided that I really need to eat more of it.  Baring that, I need to start giving it away.  My brother hasn't taken any, and my mother is more interested in my "one and done" radishes than my renewable resource of greens.  So today I asked my friend at work (the only one that seems interested in my garden stories rather than making fun of it).  She agreed to take a bag, so today I went out and harvested a bunch of greens, some radishes and even a green onion (they were ready IMHO).  The funny part is that I overflowed a huge basket and you can't tell the difference at all in my garden.  /sigh...

Tonight I still need to grill up some chicken and prep a bunch of salad, but I do also have to go out and water the garden.  I do it after dark because the sun's down and it's the only time I've got to do it, hehe.

But before I do that, I've been reading the PNW regional gardening book Tim suggested. It's good so far. I'm only on chapter two since it's heady reading and I only have an hour or so to read a day (on the bus), but it's good info so far.  He's definitely got his expert opinions after six editions, hehe.  More on that later.

Finally, I correspond with some gardening folks via email on occasion.  And just like I do here, we share the ups and downs, challenges, frustrations etc. of our gardens, and occasionally a victory creeps in.  Well today came one of the most incredible emails I've ever received.  No, not a chain letter via email that's either untrue or a retold story from the 1950s.  This was an incredible story of pain, loss, exhaustion and frustration, culminating in the ultimate success.  And if you're lucky, I'll be given permission to share parts of it with you.  I checked my email in the car before I drove home from the park 'n ride and nearly broke into tears, hehe.  Let's hope I can share.

Enjoy your garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment