Wednesday, October 15, 2008

October 15, 2008

Fall is defnitely here.  Highs in the low 50s, rainy and cloudy.  I haven't been out to the garden in a while so despite the pouring rain, I went out after work.  Unfortunately not clipping every post hurt.  The wind had uncovered the beds and the rain had pooled in the plastic on top of plants.  My spinach was flat and so were my onions.  Oops.  It was dark and wet so I didn't sitck around to see how they faired.  And I didn't have a flashlight out there either.  So tomorrow I hope to see better, though how I'll get home in the light I have no idea. 

Yes, these short days suck as a gardener.  Now I see why folks don't fall garden around here.  Sure it's possible, just not easy.  And not for the faint of heart.  Well, I'm up for the challenge, the rewards are too great not to be.

This weekend is a painting party at my folks new house.  They took possesion of it today.  So that's about it for my gardening projects until Christmas.  But I will at least go out and clip the plastic to the pipe at every location possible when I have light.  And tomorrow before work (I'm ALWAYS rushed from staying up too late reading forums and blogs to learn more) I'll check to make sure they stayed up during tonight's storm.

So, if you're gardening still, enjoy it and don't get frustrated by setbacks.  They happen.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, sinfonian, I'm so sorry your veggies got flattened. I think you need to start a greenhouse building fund. That way you could garden at night under a light bulb!

    ReplyDelete