Monday, July 13, 2009

July 13, 2009

Wow, how the weather can change here in Seattle. My father used to say if you don't like the weather here, wait 15 minutes, it will change.  It hasn't been that bad, but following a 90 degree Saturday, we've had two days of 60 degree overcast weather.  It even rained, though that was welcome news to my garden.  Everything but the SWCs, which I still need to water.  The funny thing is tomorrow the weather is suppose to change back to hot.

























TuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday

Partly Cloudy

74° F | 52° F

Partly Cloudy

81° F | 54° F

Partly Cloudy

79° F | 54° F

Partly Cloudy

76° F | 56° F

Partly Cloudy

74° F | 54° F
Partly CloudyPartly CloudyPartly CloudyPartly CloudyPartly Cloudy

It was raining when I got home today, so yet another day where I felt no motivation to get out and work in the garden.  However, I am chomping at the bit for nice weather. 

I want to get out and rip out the garbage in the garden and work my compost. It's been forever and stuff is just rotting in place, not to mention my full kitchen compost that's warm to the touch, hehe.

Once I rip out the garden of all the spent plants, I need to plant cole crops, carrots and onions for fall.  That and I think I will re-seed for cukes.  I ony have a few surviving plants that aren't doing anything after being shaded by the broccoli and cauliflower.  Remind me never to do that again.  As I've found out, it takes too long for the cole crops to mature and majorly overlaps the growth period for the summer crops.  I'm thinking now that my yukon gold bed will be devoted to brassicas next year.

So far I'm not inclined to put up my big trellis if I don't have cukes needing it.  The peas just flopped over and grabbed onto the succession cauliflower and are almost spent.  The only other things to use them are the tomatoes, which I haven't pruned at all so my harvest will be lacking.  So what, I'll get something which is better than nothing considering all the absentee time this season.

Lastly, I am a bit disappointed that I wrote an article for GardenGirl about being away from your garden during the busy summer season.  Unfortunately it wasn't chosen for the summer newsletter, which is a shame since it was helpful information for the comming months. Maybe I'll publish it here tomorrow if you all want to read it.  400 readers is not 80,000, but it's better than 1.

Enjoy your garden!

6 comments:

  1. I'll read it most certainly!! We're leaving for CA next week and I could use the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of the 400 instead of the 80,000 - I'd love to read it. Your posts are always interesting and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhhh rejection by editors. You're a bonafide writer now! Welcome to the club. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll trade you some dry for wet? I remember when I could get lots published. Another life! I'd love to read your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should be a weather forecaster for seattle. I should say "overcast skies" and I'd be right 90% of the time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree your viewpoint. My reading has shown your views to be true, however I have also read the opposite from different posts like this one. Do you have any suggestions for finding more quality info on natural health or related topics? I would most appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete