Saturday, December 12, 2009

December 12, 2009

Well, a lot has happened in the last month.  First off, I lost my job, so I'm even more excited about becoming more self sufficient.  The economy is such that it may be a while before I can find something comparable to what I was doing before.

Thankfully we are still eating the potatoes I harvested last month.  They work very well to mix in with store-bought.  We also have foot-long carrots that we're pulling out of the garden.  They're nice and sweet.  One carrot is enough for a dinner vegetable for the whole family.  The kids still love them raw, so that's how we are eating them. 

As for an update on my stevia plant.  It didn't over winter inside well at all.  It died from the bottom up despite giving it light and water.  Not sure I'll grow them next year.  The seeds didn't germinate well at all, and if they don't overwinter here, it is a fairly expensive process.  We tried a bruised leaf steeped in our tea, but it wasn't very sweet.  Anyone use stevia leaves effectively? 

Well, last week had nightly temps down to 18 degrees, blowing the theory that we don't get temperatures below 20 in the Puget Sound Area.  I wonder if they'll revise our rating?  Thank goodness we did all that work on the insulation, furnace and windows over the last two years.  Sure is coming in handy.  Of course the ground is rock solid.  Haven't tried to harvest a carrot, but it could be challenging right now.

Stay warm everyone, and start ramping up for spring.

13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the job loss, that's horrible news. They say the economy is rebounding but I think they are full of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, ol' buddy.....I hope you find something soon. I interview applicants pretty frequently that just had their employer to go belly-up from the economic problems. It's so sad to see so many places closing, and so many people out of work. Alabama's unemployment rate is really bad right now, something like 12.5%. I feel fortunate. If I can help, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the job. It's tough. Good luck, and let us know if we can help. We have a line on cheapo storage potatoes (Yukons) right now if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the job loss. It's never a good time to loose your job, but right around the holidays must be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to hear of your job loss. I will keep an ear out for opportunities that may be appropriate for you and send them your direction.

    The garden and the produce you previously put by from it can definitely help you stretch your limited resources further. It can turn into a game if you let it - cooking as many meals in their entirety from existing pantry and garden supplies rather than purchasing groceries. With careful shopping and wise use of items on hand (including the garden), you can really trim your food bill down to next to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sinfonian, that's terrible! I'm so sorry...you must be worried half to death. Hey, I'll pitch in with some seeds for your next garden, as I'm sure others will. At least we could help you out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SF, I'm so sorry about the job loss. I'm currently jobless right now, but that's frequent in my line of work. Don't worry at all, ok? On the flipside, I would LOVE to grow carrots that big. I made the mistake of growing them in the middle of July...in Altanta...where lows are in the 80s. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuck, Sinfonian. You're in good company, however. While you look for something, sign up to substitute in the local school district. You can make your own schedule and still pull in extra cash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your job. I'm glad you have the garden for many reasons and that carrot sounds amazing. I hope it thaws enough for you to life at least another one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sinfonian! Missed your posts there for a while... hoping that you were ok. So sorry to hear about your job - you worked your tail off there, that's for sure. The economy is just so tough right now. My volunteer project will be wrapping up and I'll be out and about in the J-O-B market myself in January - something I am not looking forward to.

    There's an article in Mother Earth News this issue that is awesome! Here's the link: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/Square-Foot-Gardening-Food.aspx It's kinda funny because we are already two years ahead of everyone that is just getting started - so thank goodness we've already learned a good bit in our 2 years of gardening. But the article talks how this one lady grew $700 worth of veggies in just 100 square feet. Our raised beds are gold mines in that we can grow so much of our own veggies - but what we grow is so much better and more nutritious than the pesticide sprayed stuff in the grocery stores.

    I really wish I could just go and camp out at the Dervaes' "homestead in the city" for 1 week and work and learn from them. That would be the ultimate LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas to you and your family Rich!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sin, been there, done that - 4 years ago. Lost mine, thought it was end of the world. How dare they!!!!! Took me from Nov. to Mar. to get a new position. In the end, worked out fine. Main lesson here, we all want to feel important, indispensible, BUT, in the business world, we're all expendable.
    My point here, a new job will come, enjoy life, place your MAIN emphasis on your family and your well being. Work is for paying the bills and has little other importance.

    ReplyDelete