Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17, 2011

Sickness still reigns over my house this weekend, so despite a beautiful day today, nothing got done in the garden.  So, in order to have SOMETHING to post tonight, I took another video of the chicks.  By the way they've grown, I'm not sure I can still call them chicks even though they're not quite a month old, but here are the girls.


As I say, Sunday's the day I've decided to totally clean out their brooder.  I did this knowing I may very well not be using this brooder later this week.  My brother called tonight and we both had the same idea.  We cam to the conclusion independently that our chicks were getting too big for their tote brooders, so we are both planning on setting up the Costco produce box for the brooder.  Looks like I'm going to have to put it in the car bay of the garage, as the kids have totally taken over the play room bay, as they should.

Anyway, I took some pics of the girls and thought this was the best one.
I love the close-up of the three oldest enjoying the fresh food. Twinkydink is doing what they all do these days, dive right in by standing on the feeder.  They're big enough now that I may not put a board up against it for them to stand on to peck at the "ground" They don't seem to use it.  Well, Buffy does as she's a week younger and a lot smaller still.  I'm looking forward to her exponential growth over the next few days.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather!! Hope you feel better soon.. Those chickies are getting so big - fun to watch the videos - thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice blog! Do you grow any snow peas in your garden? I live in Georgia and I have to plant my snow peas early, but I hear your climate is ideal for growing snow peas. I purchased some Oregon Sugar Pod II's from Territorial Seed up that way in Oregon.

    My blog is at georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had chickens before we moved into town here and they aren't allowed. They are great!

    A produce box works as a great brooder. Hopefully the weather will get a bit better there. If you have a chicken tractor for your yard (or a safe place) we put ours outside on nice days and they loved it.

    We had a Barred Rock that would follow us around like a dog and all the chickens use to lay around in the sun with the cats & our one bunny rabbit out in the yard.

    If they ever allow them in town again we might get 2 or 3... we had 13 and were giving away eggs, eggs and more eggs.

    ReplyDelete