Saturday, March 8, 2008

March 8, 2008

Today wasn't the sunny dry day that I'd hoped it would be. It was in the low 40s and sprinkling.  I still went out, I just wore a coat.  First I went and got galvinized staples and twine to lay out my grids.  The angles present a bit of a challenge to get 1sf squares, but I'll manage. I only managed to get the staples in and measured out before my family got home, but maybe my wife can help with the stringing to avoid backtracking so much. hehe

Boy does Mel's Mix dry out quick.  I don't want to figure out a soaker system, that would be complicated and expensive.  But that may be what I need to do.  So much for plants needing a cup of water a week.  Bah.

Tomorrow I'll go out and plant some plants with my son, rain or shine. I've put together a list of what I'm planting, when to plant it and what the spacing is.  Here it goes...

5 weeks b4lsf:
Broccoli – 1 /sf
Peas - 8 /sf (pre)
Spinach - 9 /sf
4 weeks b4lsf:
Lettuce – 4 /sf
Onion – 16 /sf
Cauliflower - 1/sf

3 weeks b4lsf:
Carrots - 16 /sf
Potatoes
Radish - 12 /sf

LSF:
Beans - 9 /sf (b) 8/sf (p) (pre)
Corn - 8' rows 4' spacing (pre)
Tomato

1 week alsf:
Cucumber - 2 /sf (pre)

I'll be planting up through 2 weeks before last spring frost (which for me is April 1 historically).  Of course I don't have potatoes yet, so I'll just have to let my bins sit empty until I get some (hurry up Territorial, hehe).

Well, with Daylight Savings losing me an hour of sleep today, I'd better hit the sack!  Fun day tomorrow, I'm so excited!

1 comment:

  1. Please,tell me what means sf?I dont understand Your ...9/sf(b)8sf(p)(pre) would You explane for us who is not talk English.Thanks,
    Cale
    Serbia

    ReplyDelete