Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 10, 2008

Well, short post tonight.  I picked up the new car which took all evening, including getting the old car ready to trade in. 

There's been great response to the potato answer.  No, it doesnt' answer every issue, but it solves everyone's problems that find their harvest lacking RIGHT NOW, when early varieties are ready to harvest.

But let's do a quick tour and share what's going on, then I'm outta here...



I know, I've got to pick some of these soon, but I just hate to have to buy lettuce from the store.  Unfortunately I've got no chance of waiting until mine is ready, so I guess I need to go to the store.

But do you note the massive wilt and browning?  I know I needed to water the tomato bin, but the beans are not doing so well.



I guess if this keeps up, I won't have a problem ripping them out when the peas need the new trellis. Not sure why I didn't take a picture of the peas, but for some odd reason, the outer two squares had full germination and the inner two that I planted more than 8 seeds to insure good germination I got poor results.  I hate to re-seed now.  Maybe I'll just train them over.  Not sure.   But boy are cukes proving to be great producers.



Not sure if it's particlarly visible, but a week ago, these two were tiny and now they're ready!  And so were a ton of their buddies!



Phenomonal!  I've got another batch ready to start pickling.  I've also got three slicers growing.  I must say though, I haven't eaten the one I kept of the last three (see the lettuce issue) but it is STILL firm and ready to eat in the crisper, just wrapped in paper towels. Very cool.  Maybe this weekend we'll pickle some more. My brother's got a bit more than I do.  Should be fun!

I also pulled a later succession corn cob that was big and full and took a bite of it.  It was bland bland bland.  I wonder if it's good for livestock to eat?  There's a garden buddy of mine that has chickens and goats that may be able to use it.

Lastly, something's munching my cauliflower seedlings, but only nibbling.  Thankfully the seedlings are healthy in Mel's Mix with good spacing so as Steve Solomon says, healthy seedlings can survive most pest attacks and still trive.



*Sorry for the blurry photo,  it's tough to tell after I take it.  You get the picture.*

We're also going to go to the Puyallup Fair (the biggest county fair in the region, even if it's not my county). I also saw an add for a farm festival in my county.  You can bet I'm going to both to look at the produce side instead of the rides and food, as well as look into the chickens and goats because I'm curious after all the talk over at PTF's Freedom Gardens.org. No, I don't want goats, but they're cool.  Chickens, well that's another mater.

So enjoy your garden!

1 comment:

  1. My pole beans have been doing the same thing, even worse. Although they bore early and gave a huge yield. I thought they would go until frost, but I'm not so sure now.
    Your Cauliflower seedlings look alot like my Kohlrabi seedlings. In my case the culprit is the Cabbage Butterfly, those common white butterflies I'm sure you've seen around. They lay eggs on cabbage family plants that hatch into green, hairless caterpillars. You can pick them off by hand but they are very hard to see especially when they're so small. Their color blends in quite well. If you don't get them, they will grow bigger and hungrier and very destructive. Assuming, of course, that it is the Cabbage Butterfly.

    ReplyDelete