Tuesday, February 10, 2009

February 10, 2009

Wow folks, just wanted to let folks know that there is a sale at Fred Meyer (Kroger owned) on Rubbermaid Roughneck 18 gallon bins that I use to make SWCs.  I know that the EarthTainer (TM) uses the larger 31 gallon bin, but I don't have room between my beds for more than a 2 foot wide bin.  Just so happens that the 18 gallon bins fit perfectly.  Hmm... at least the OLD style Rubbermaid bins did. I sure hope the Roughnecks do,  hehe.  Anyway, they're on sale for $6.99 through the 28th, so feel free to check it out.  Oh, and they only had the blue where I was.  That's ok, because my existing one is blue, and I don't care about color.  Heck, I could paint it if I wanted.

So, I picked up 14 bins. 



No, they're not all for me.  We're going to get together with another couple and have a SWC building party.  They want 5 and I need 2 more of that size (plus one larger one for my cantaloupe).  Boy do I need to pick up a TON of tomato cages, and maybe two or three PVC pipes, hehe.  Now I need to consider baskets.  I'm not certain the $1 store baskets will work well, but the pipe end caps that I used last year are a bit costly ($6) each.  I think a trip to the hardware store is in order.

Lastly, the spammers are at it again.  I'm getting over a dozen spam comments a day again.  Must be spring, the spammers are coming out of the ground, hehe.  Don't worry though, my spamm software catches them.  But I am worried.  You all have only a slim lead over the spammers.  It would be a shame to have more spam messages caught by my spam software than I've received from concerned readers... So let's keep ahead of the spammers!

What do you suggest I use for a wicking basket? It's got to be about 6 inches high and only 6 or so inches wide.  Oh, and cheap enough to get tons of them, hehe.

Enjoy your garden!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Look at that stack of bins! I know you were hunting for a better price for these materials and it looks like you found it. :)

    I have never built a SWC so I have no idea what to suggest for the wicking basket. Definitely will be checking back to learn more about this though as you progress through this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying those $1 baskets from sterilite. They're a bit girly, but heck, I'm a girl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hydroponic stores sell a whole assortment of mesh baskets for about a buck. Here is a link to a 6" one that has a bit of a lip at the top:

    http://stores.northcoasthydroponics.com/-strse-13969/Pots-%26-Inserts/Detail.bok

    I am sure you would have a hydroponics place in your area that sells them. They always have all kinds of cool lights & fertilizers in those place, maybe even some more SWC idea's too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sinfonian - have you considered using the bottom part of a 2 liter drink bottle? It'll work pretty good. Good lucj with your assembly party. I wish someone would help me! Oh well, they'd just be too slow for me, anyway! Ha!

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a comment... forgive me since I haven't been following long, but I can't for the life of me figure out what an SWC is! :) I looked at some old posts but there were so many... so I'm imagining it's some sort of bin where you plant in it and you have a wick so it self waters?

    Oh wait... lol. I got it - Self Watering Container, right? sorry! Normally I'd just delete this comment so I wouldn't look stupid but I think I'm going to post it anyway. Happy gardening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. DoubleD: Thanks, yeah, with all the space you have, you don't need SWCs, though it would be good for your greenhouse... hmm?

    Carolyn: I think Dan found a great source for $1.17 baskets that may just work better than the $1 ones. I will get back to you on what I find.

    Dan: THANKS! Great link. And yes, I looked up and have a hydroponics store near me. Unfortunately they close before I get home from work, so it'll be tough to get there before Saturday. Hopefully they'll have those 6 inch ones local, and hopefully they'll be at least 6 inches tall. Kinda important for a 6 inch reservoir...

    EG: Great idea, if I can't find what I'm looking for, I'll stock up on 2 liters. Haven't drank pop out of one of those in ages, hehe. I remember when we'd get Coke for $.79 growing up. Go through one a day I would, and I was a big as a house too, hehe.

    Bethany: Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it. And sorry, I should really introduce SWCs in each post. I know it's confusing since I talk about them so much but never tell what they are. You're correct by the way. Check out Judy's link on the side for a great pictorial instruction page!

    ReplyDelete