Tuesday, February 24, 2009

February 24, 2009

Well, today was a busy gardening day, and I didn't get home until 7 from work. Hehe.  No, I didn't get out in the garden, it's pouring down rain.  But I did move my garden forward, which is what this month and next is all about.  Getting ready for spring and summer gardening season.

So when I got home, I checked my seed starting setup in the kitchen.  Sure enough, four of the 10 tomatoes I started for our teacher came up, so they needed to head up to the light system next to my seedlings.  Then I noticed both my broccoli seedlings sprouted from my soil blocks.  They had been pregerminated in coffee filters, but they both decided to sprout wile I was at work. 



So up they went too.  The cool part is I finally get to use my second light fixture.  It's down really low to hover just over these little guys.  I can't wait for the cauliflower to sprout next (also pregerminated).  Then it will be a race between all my greens.  This sure is fun.  And it's both getting my garden ready for spring and satisfying my garden addiction. hehe

Oh, I almost forgot this picture.  I took it this morning when I checked on my seedlings before work.



See how the leaves fold up and even cross.  Well they do that every night and then unfold when the lights come on.  It's really amazing.  I've never seen other plants do that.  I'm sure it's normal, just really cool.  Maybe some knowledgable reader knows why that happens?

After the kids went down, I took some time to whip up my next contribution to Patti the Garden Girl's monthly ezine.  It's cool that she has me contribute to the SFG portion that is an integrated media feature with Mel himself!  This month I get to preface his comments while you watch March's installment of the Mel and Patti garden show.  Look for that in your email come March.  It's not too late to sign up for it over at her site (linked on the right).

Another site linked on the right is my good buddy EG's blog.  He is one of the most amazing men I know.  Right now I'm giving him a hard time over on his blog about folks calling Mel's Mix and compost soil-less.  Bah!  Dirt is dirt, hehe.  I think it's humorous anyway.  He's probably annoyed with me by now (not true, nothing makes EG mad).  Anyway, if you're not a regular reader of his blog, you won't be disappointed!

So, as you can see, tonight was all about gardening, and I never stepped foot in my garden.  Pretty cool, huh?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you're enjoying the lighting system, because it's definitely fun - and a project in itself. Some of my tomatoes' leaves did that too, and I don't know why they do that. I can't wait for the monthly installment on the ezine, will be looking for the email for it. Take care.

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  2. The unfolding of those little leaves is always so exciting to us gardeners, wow we're pretty boring folks.

    My little lettuce seedlings are getting their first true leaves already, I'll be planting them in the cold frame soon, I'm hoping for spring salads in a couple weeks.

    I need to start some of my tomatoes soon (gotta get the seeds first, I'm waiting for them to come). I just got my 2 new grow lights and I can't wait to turn my basement into a little growing area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Sinfonian....it's only 11 days to GGH day! That's "Granny's Going Home". I hope my tomatoes aren't too tall for the cooler by then, as they are growing fast now. I've shown the house twice in two weeks (I should fire the realtor, he is doing nothing). Both parties have been interested, especially the ones that looked at it Monday, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

    Hey, if we couldn't irritate EG, life wouldn't be worth living ;-)

    Granny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking seedlings, looks like your light is working well. I am waiting on my tom's to start putting out true leaves. Can't wait to read your new ezine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah!! I'm so glad that it's time for you to get some of your plants started for your garden.... I just love getting my seeds planted! It's kinda like the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel (called winter!).

    Your tomato seedlings are looking great.... before you know it, you'll be planting them in your SWC. Your light setup is really working well.

    That is awesome that you have a reoccuring column in Patti's ezine. I look forward to reading it every month. Patti's the bomb dig-it-tee! I wish I had her energy... She's the one that FIRST instilled the idea in my head to get chickens. And I'm so happy that I have these 12 little chicks now. And in just 5 months (according to Fred) they will be laying eggs for me. I can't say enough good things about Patti and everything she is doing on her website and with her work. I'm looking forward to your column in the next ezine (with Mel!!)

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your set up is working smashingly! Isn't it fun to start your own plants? It's a new and exciting experience year after year - because it is always different and always reminds you what a miracle life really is.

    ReplyDelete