Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November 13, 2008

Sorry for the hiatus folks. I've gone from 12 hour days to 14+ this week, including my holiday, hehe.  I know Wednesday was my watering day, but it just didn't happen.  I'll try to get out there or convince my wife to do it.

The weather's been in the upper 40s to low 50s for quite a while.  Sure it's been stormy, but what do the plants care for wind and rain under a hoop cover.  I didn't expect them to get any light right now anyway, hehe.

I've been working slowly through my book, Four Season Harvest.  So far it's a cross between we're so great and you can do it to.  Some times I just want to start gardening books in the middle.  Tell me what to do, if I wasn't interested in doing it, I wouldn't be reading the book, hehe.

So far, I've learned a number of interesting tid-bits.  Like leaves aren't good for your compost.  Who says?  Ok, I guess I'll give you that they don't break down through normal decomposition, but every time I've thrown them in there you can't find them the next week or two.  Besides, I mulch them up with a mower first.  I think I'll be fine.  The other thing I learned about leaves is while leaf mold is great for plants, it takes years to develop.  Sorry, I don't have that kind of time to devote any part of my yard to.  I'll stick to compost thanks.

Lastly today, I am reading about creating microclimates for your garden.  The only thing I could do for my garden (since I can't move it to a "warm" spot of my yard) is to build a stone wall behind my garden to trap heat.  I thought that was what my beige garage wall was doing, but if not, I've got six inches behind the beds I could do bricks.  Naw, I'm guessing microclimates are more important in New England winters. This is the Pacific NW after all.  We're not in zone 8b for nothing.  If it gets to 20 degrees here the world ends, hehe.  Of course my hoop covers don't keep my garden beds any warmer than outside the beds.  Maybe it's a microclimate after all.

Sorry folks, I'd love to have waxed philosophically about some point of the book by now, but so far it's not been that enlightening.  I'll think more and try to sneak a post in between sleep and work.

Enjoy your garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment