Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March 15, 2011

Beware the Ides of March... My wife was born tomorrow way back when, so I like to say she's perfect, born right between the luckiest and unluckiest days of the year.

Speaking of unlucky, this didn't happen today, but today's the perfect day to share it.  I was making a smoothie for the family and needed to get out the frozen fruit from the freezer.  I had checked the tomatoes on top of the fridge the night before but thought nothing of it, until this happened...


Crash! Dirt everywhere, water everywhere, and no seedlings from this THIRD attempt.  Pissed at myself, I cleaned it up, and figured I'd give up on them. So I went upstairs and counted my viable seedlings... 7, just seven. I needed 8 and wanted 10.  So back out to the garage and maybe the four time is a charm.  January 24th I planted my first tomato seeds of the season, and the last are being planted March 15th.  How crazy is that?  I definitely will over plant next year, this is ridiculous. 


If these don't go, I'll simply direct sow them and see what happens. Yeah right, in this climate? 

Today was one big thunder storm, not quite Spring, yet I hope you got to...

Enjoy your garden!

6 comments:

  1. Oh on, that sucks. Reminds me of a few years ago when I was carrying a full tray of plants outside. The cheap tray buckled and I dumped them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to Lowe's and buy yourself a 6' rope light for about $6. Lay it out in an S shape and set your plants on it for bottom heat. My tomatoes and peppers took about 5 days to germinate.

    I had one container of 8 plants in cups sitting on a heat vent, as all my rope lights were in use, and I kicked the darned thing. It didn't tip, but it knocked over the spray bottle of water next to it, and the lid came off and I had water all over my laundry room floor. Oh well, it needed to be mopped ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! So sorry this happened to you. You still have time to start more seeds, right? Have you seen EG's method of germinating seeds: EG's Germination Method. I used this for tomatoes and peppers last year with great success. Every seed that germinated was planted and grew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As annoying as it was to have the mess to clean up, you should be thankful that there was not actually plants in those cups or you would have been REALLY mad! I have accidentally flipped over and dropped a whole flat of seedlings before.... down they went, upside down, all fo them smooshed with very few that survived. That was many years ago but I was so angry at myself that I still remember it (painfully) to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GrafixMuse, that's exactly what I should have done. I've used a similar method with coffee filters and zip lock bags, but I now remember EG sent me some of those containers, maybe for that reason! Next time I'll do that with tomatoes.

    As for everyone else, wow, I didn't think this would bring out everyone's stories! Sorry to hear about them, but now I'm really glad I posted this! I feel much better now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the tomatoes...I still have extras if you need some...I wanted to give you this link...a great idea for a chicken coop...with a garden bed on top!

    http://www.kippenhouse.com/

    ReplyDelete