I've read about it, skimmed over those sections of the books, but today I had to quarantine my Welsummer.
Yesterday morning when I was changing their paper towels, I had them next to the brooder in the shoe box I brought them home in. As I was transferring them back to the brooder, she jumped out of my hand, landed on the edge of the counter and fell about 3 feet total to the ground. She seemed fine afterwards, but was "in bed" earlier than her sisters. I just had to take this picture of her last night. I don't think it's a bad thing, but she was VERY cute.
Anyway, later that day I noticed a spot on the Welsummer's tail. I took a picture of the big brownish-red wart on her back end, just below what I believe is her vent. Sorry you can't see it well through the feathers, I couldn't hold the bird, clear the feathers away and take the picture. My third hand is in the shop.
At this point, I had to rig up something for a quarantine bin. I had always planned on using the brooder as a quarantine area eventually, but I hadn't imagined I'd need to quarantine a chick. So, I grabbed a currently empty storage bin from the garage (it's new so clean), threw down some paper towels and got a couple of custard cups for food and water, and set it up right next to the bin, over the sink.
As an update, boy are they loud being separated! They just sit as close to each other as possible looking at one another. The good news is that the temp in both bins is the same, around 95, and the Welsummer is a bit more active. Boy do I want to play with them.
Enjoy your garden!