Wednesday, May 13, 2009

May 13, 2009

Hey folks, sorry for the brief hiatus.  Sometimes I get hooked on something and got to get it out of my system.  I guess it's the obsessive compusive gene in me.  This time it was a silly game on Facebook.  My wife plays it and it was about gardening, so I decided to try it.  It helped that I'm always searching for things we can do together.  Of course that meant I needed to sign up on facebook.  Now I guess all my friends are my friends on facebook.  All I wanted was to play the stupid game, but it would be rude to say no to friends.  I really want nothing to do with social networking sites, hehe.

Through all this, gardening has gotten done though.  I haven't shirked that duty.  But before I get to my garden, for Mother's Day we spent the afternoon at the Bellevue Botanical Gardens.  I was kind of bored because it was 99% flowers and trees, but the mother's and kids had fun.



And of course my Aunt was in her element.  All I could think of was 53 acres of weeding, hehe.



My favorite thing there was a tiny demonstration garden.  They had raised beds with gravel walk ways, but their lettuce was ages behind mine, as was their broccoli.  The only thing they were ahead of me on were peas, but I know I started them late.  Made me feel good since they probably have master gardeners tending that garden, hehe.

For the garden, I took Judy's advice and soaked the cantaloupe seeds.  Out of 5 seeds, two sunk easily, one took some coercing and two didn't do anything.  Not particularly viable after a year.  Shame.  Anyway, I planted all of them in my large SWC, so we shall see what sprouts.

I also filled in some empty squares and sparce carrot growth with new seeds, so hopefully I will have some good succession plantings of everything.  Of course I still have TONS of open spaces. Not sure what I'll do with all of them. 

Lastly, for those of you that were concerned for my Bloody Butcher tomato plant, it appears it was just shock, because the top seems to be growing again.  Too bad the stem that had that huge cluster of blooms still doesn't look good.

Well, check back tomorrow for another post. I'm back at it again.  Hope you...

Enjoy your garden!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sinfonian!
    The Bellevue Botanical Gardens look like a beautiful place!

    I'll have to look up what you referred to about seeds sinking...

    Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering how nice it was on Mothers Day - that must have been a lovely time in the botanical gardens. I am with you in that I admire a fine food production garden much more - but still the "pretties" are fun to look at too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bloody butcher will probably come back gangbusters! Some of mine got whacked in the hail and lost early blooms, but they are all loaded now.

    Last year wind storm did similar damage and the one that had funky early flowers I took off actually had a better load and growth later. Maybe losing those early blooms lets them keep some of their growth energy for later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my tomatoes will be or have been disposed of :-( I just don't think there is any chance of them improving, and even the ones I thought were OK are beginning to show signs of something wrong. I ran down to the nursery and bought 8 plants for just over $3, and wondered why I spent all that money on seed starter mix and electricity for the lights! So I'm happy yours did survive. I guess heirlooms just aren't in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whaddaya mean the flowers were boring? I love flowers. To me, they are a nice way of spreading a little joy and beauty in an often not-so-pretty world.
    Not criticizing, just sayin'...lol...
    I bet it did make you feel good that your food garden was way ahead of the Master Gardener's veggies!
    Off to Colorado today to see my daughter graduate college and visit with the grandsons...will check in from time to time if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a nice outing for Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful mother's day....even if it was all flowers. Just makes you excited about things in your garden blooming with a purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Careful, FB can be addicting... :-)

    ReplyDelete