Wednesday, February 13, 2008

February 13, 2008

You know you've arrived when you start getting spammed.  I've had to delete five posts today. Hehe, that's more than I've had of real posts to-date.  Come on people, tell me I'm insane or a fool to start out so big or whatever.  We can't let the morons win!

Well, tonight's short. We went on the first of our regular 3.5 mile walks pushing jogging strollers tonight.  We started out in light and ended in pitch dark.  It sure felt good even if it was a bit chilly.  Exercise and a healthy diet goes a long way to living to see my grandkids grow up.  That's what the garden's all about now.

As for the garden, not all my seedlings have keeled over.  They're still leggy and reaching to the sky, but they're hanging on and I'll keep them outside in the garden window until I've got dirt and I'll give them a shot... along with direct sowing some seeds.  You never know. I'm sure stranger things have happened.

I've got to calculate the amount of vermiculite and peat moss I need for my beds so I can call Sky tomorrow to see if they have enough on hand.  Otherwise I need to find another dealer for my crack. hehe.

Hmm. 3x3x3 is 27 ft3 in a y3, there are 3.5 ft3 in a bag of vermiculite, so roughly 15 bags for 2 yards.  Same calculation for peat moss (Mell says compressed 2.2 ft3 peat moss is 4 ft3 loose) equates to roughly 13 half bales.  Boy is that expensive.  Heck the compost is the cheapest thing there because I can buy it in bulk.  Maybe I'll let my fingers go the walking and see if I can't find a bulk source for vermiculite.  You never know.

1 comment:

  1. That peat moss is pretty expensive! Instead of buying the compressed stuff, I bought the MiracleGro kind. It's already shredded up and is just a little damp feeling. I tried buying the compressed stuff for my very first garden. It was a big pain!!!! You have to "de-compress" it and then it's almost like powder. And on top of that, it just repelled the water! It took a while before the water would actually absorb into the peat. After that it was fine. I don't know if there's a trick to making it absorb the water or not. Good luck on finding your vermiculite! I hope that your local source has enough for your gardens. This is the weekend, right??? The weekend you're getting all your "dirt" for your gardens! I can't wait to see your post on Sunday night. You'll have to take pics. The boys are going to love helping you "mix" everything together!!! Have a great Valentine's Day!!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete