Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 14, 2008

Well, today was the first day that I went to work in the dark and came home in the dark.  At least I left work in the light, it just got dark on the bus ride home.  But today was a crisp clear fall day, meaning that tonight will be very cold indeed with no cloud cover to hold the heat in.  Mid 30s they say.  That's very very close to freezing.  Of course I don't feel like going out and covering my final bed, especially since it's only got frost tollerant plants in it (well, not the marigolds, but they've outlived their usefullness anyway hehe).  I may go out and water under the hoop covers when I take the garbage out, but otherwise this has been a no-garden day.  Too cold now.  Brrr.

However, when I got home I wanted nothing more than to hug my kids and crack open a chilled jar of salsa and chips.  So, while the kids had dinner, I had appetizers.  Much to my chagrin, the salsa had NO bite, no kick, and not much in the way of lingering heat.  I don't think we did anything wrong.  I did heat it to a simmer, store it in the fridge overnight and re-heat to a simmer before canning.  I don't think that had anything to do with it.  More likely, we just needed to add twice to three times the peppers.  Maybe even a habanero or two for some real kick.  We didn't think we needed to because when we tasted it initially it was hot.  Not too hot, but just right.  Goldilocks would have been proud.

So, next time we'll do it with more heat.  At least the taste of this salsa is amazing.  Far better with home-grown tomatoes and garlic.  I'm really debating about growing a determinate tomato or two for bigger harvest. 

Well, that's all I can think of for tonight.  Enjoy your garden.

5 comments:

  1. I'll call your bland salsa and raise you a bland Hot (not) Pepper Jelly. My jelly did get a bit hotter with age, but still not as hot as I'd like. Maybe you could stir a few red pepper flakes into your salsa?

    Baby is not wanting to come into this world, so they will induce labor on the 19th. We're probably looking at a birth date of the 20th, so it will be a couple of weeks yet before I get to the warmth of Arizona.

    Yesterday and today I topped dressed all but the two (still producing) beds with composted manure and peat moss, and transplanted my two blueberry bushes into whiskey barrels in what will be my fruit garden in 2009. They are quite pretty there, against the new cedar fence. I wish I'd had some leaves to chop and mix into all the beds, but none have fallen yet. I've asked neighbors to save theirs for me so I'll have them next year. I'm saving coffee grounds and eggshells like mad for the blueberries, which also got a lot of manure and peat.

    These shorter days are a bummer, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting heat right has been a problem from me in the past too. It seems it is always not enough or to much.

    The revised compost cover looks great. Good thinking with the 2x2's, I bet they will hold up much better then 1x3's.

    I also noticed the russets got harvest, boy I missed allot over the last few days. I think 25lbs is a pretty good yield. Maybe if you can get them planted out earlier next year the tubers higher up will develop more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the shorter days. When I get home at 5:30 each day, I really have to hurry to get anything accomplished in the garden. I didn't get home yesterday until 8pm, and had to water everything in the dark while holding a flashlight. That was not fun at all! Anyway, I envy you with your homemade salsa. I bet it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm...homemade salsa! Hot (or not!) - it's one of lifes simpler pleasures. :)

    Got cold last night here too.. outdoor thermometer was reading 36 when I got up this morning. Much warmer tonight with the rain and cloud cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It cooled off here just a little and then warmed back up. But I hear that we have another cool front that is supposed to be moving thru. Our days are also getting shorter....

    Rich, maybe you could add a fresh minced jalapeno to heat up the salsa when you eat it with chips. Oh, and maybe some fresh minced onions, some fresh green onions and fresh parsley.... then you'd have a mix of fresh and preserved all together! I bet that would spice it up.

    ReplyDelete