Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October 29, 2008

Ah, the busy life of this credit crisis is driving me batty.  That said, I didn't post last night because after working 12 hours I went over to my folks house and helped them move all night.  A bit of physical activity was just the ticket to take my mind off work.  Unfortuantely I'm extremely sore today, but oh well.

This evening all I got done in the garden was to follow through with my plans to test my thermometers.  They are now both side by side outside in my garden area.  One reads 45 and the other 44.8  Not perfect, but close enough for government work I guess.  So, if they can be trusted to read trueish, then this evening the temperature difference inside my hoop cover was down to just over 1 degree.  /sigh.  I had expected much better results.  Instead I'm getting inconsistent results at best.  Anyone else have proof that hoop covers keep beds warmer?  I can't seem to prove it either way.  I'll keep at it but so far my results have been disappointing at best.

Oh, and don't worry, I'm not burning out on my garden.  My job, maybe, but mostly I'm feeling frustrated that the more I do the behinder I get.  That's not normal for me.  I'm usually a very productive person.  Hehe, with my schedule I bet you've gathered that.  What I really want is to spend some time in the garden, when it's warm and I can see what I'm doing.  Oh, and maybe, just maybe, I'd like to harvest a salad out of it.  Grrr. 

Anyway, I was thinking, I should really plant some of those empty squares in my beds.  Why I have bare squares I have no idea.  What can I grow if I plant it today that will be able to harvest, maybe even to preserve?  That would be fun.  Not sure how I'd research that.

Well, I sincerely hope you get out in your garden to walk around and pick up some fallen leaves or pull a weed or two.  That's what I hope to do.

Enjoy your garden!  I sure do mine.

2 comments:

  1. Since the cowpeas have been killed by the low temps, I am faced with the same problem. Thirty two empty squares, with nothing to put in them....I've decided to take some fresh horse manure, and mix it in with the soil - then let it compost on it's own over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I check my hoophouses by sticking my arm under them and they always seem warmer than the outside (albeit moreso in the spring when there's more sun). And our tomatoes this year definitely benefited from being under plastic. You may be perceiving trouble just because this is the time of year where things don't grow, it's just not light enough long enough. If you've read Elliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest, on of the points he makes is that plants don't grow over the winter. Most of the benefit of season extenders is more of a storage and preservation role. i.e., you won't get more lettuce out of a greenhouse, but you'll have fresh lettuce longer.

    As for what I'd plant today if it were me (and it will be this afternoon), I'd put in garlic for harvest next fall or a cover crop. Personally, I wouldn't plan on anything planted this late yielding harvestable quantities so, when in doubt, I build my soil. Of course, I'm the opposite of a square-foot gardener. My line of thinking is to throw space and a variety of techniques at the garden and see what works.

    On the upside, a better gardener than me told me that come February 15th there'll be enough sun for things to start growing again. Time to start planning seedlings indoors!

    ReplyDelete