Monday, July 14, 2008

July 14, 2008

Well, busy evening.  I got home at a relatively reasonable hour. I would have been home on time but my computer crashed when I had 2 minutes worth of work to do before leaving.  So I kept a Vice President and Senior Vice President waiting while I tried everything to make it work and finally hard booted and did it all over again.  A half hour later I walked out the door.  Grrr. And it's a new computer. hehe

This evening was beautiful and the one free evening before I go camping, so I decided to mow the lawn.  In this heat the lawn hasn't grown much (we don't water the lawn).  In fact, I hadn't thought about how busy my week would be and the weekend out of town, or I would have mowed this last weekend. I purposesly decided not to mow because it didn't need it.  As it is, I only filled up half a yard waste container.  It didn't add much to the compost.  Ah well.

When I finished, Toasty and her husband stopped by to see the garden (and pick up some great yellow irises).  We toured the garden and yard, sharing my plans and possibilities.  It was coincidental that my peas got even worse today.  The leaves had been browning on the bottom over the last week or so, so I watered it more, thinking it needed it.   Today they were falling over and just dying.  Thankfully Toasty was here to tell me that they are supposed to do that, and that she yanked hers a few weeks ago.  Now I have to figure out what to do with several pounds of peas.  Hehe 

Darn it, I had so hoped that I could hold out for Wednesday so I could make a veggie tray like you get at the store, with broccoli, cauliflower and snap peas.  Maybe even some carrots.  Wouldn't that be cool!  The ones from the store are so tasteless, and fresh veggies would taste so good!  In fact the cauliflower I harvested yesterday was mostly eaten raw by my family.

So this weekend will be play time, not garden time.  My aunt isn't going so she'll water and take care of the kitties.  That also means no to-do list this weekend.  Think of mowing as my to-do list and it was checked off.

Enjoy your garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment