Sunday, March 15, 2009

March 15, 2008

Beware the Ides of March... For Caesar, it was a lot worse than for me, but look what happened shortly after I woke up this morning...



We actually got an inch from the largest flakes I've seen in ages.  However, it turned to rain before I went out to help my folks and most of it had melted.  Thank goodness I left the window on.

The weather was icky, so nothing got done this weekend.  No peas got planted, no hardening off, no potato bins got rebuilt.  One thing's for sure, our last frost date this year is NOT March 15, hehe.

Anyway, I promised that the next time I saw my brother I would snap some shots of his light system.  So while we were waiting for my wife's birthday dinner to be ready, we snuck over to his house and snapped some pics.



This shot was taken after I had him raise the light to accomodate rapid growth of his broccoli seedlings and his watermelon.  Both look exactly the same at this point and were being crowded by the lights.  Both lights got raised in the end.  Nothing else has germinated yet, which is fine since nothing's ready to go out.

And here's a close-up.



I love how my seedling trays fit 32 of these Jiffy peat pots perfectly (which he filled with my Mel's Mix, hehe). I'm sure that's the point, but it was very cool to see.  Oh, and don't you just love the oak shelves for the shelving unit?  Only the best scraps in my father's garage, hehe.

Well, I hope you'll join me as the weather slowly turns and I get more and more active in the garden.

Have a great week and I hope you enjoyed your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Goodness Rich! I don't remember you having that much snow last year.... and definitely not this late in the year.

    Your brother's light set up is nice :-) Oh, your soil block maker--- you really like it? Mine came in last week but I haven't tried it yet (trying to get finished with the chicken coop -- that's where all of my time is spent lately!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The light set up is pretty nifty.. has room for another bank of lights on the lower level!

    We got lots of snow on Sunday morning too. It was melted away by 2 pm and it never actually got below freezing temperature wise - lowest was 34 degrees when it was snowing the hardest.

    It was a good thing you did not put away the improvised cold frame cover for the bed. I forget what was planted under it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin' good Sinfonian!! The snow is a small setback. I bet the youngin's loved it.

    I loved your Ides of March comment. I made the same comment yesterday when we were doing our taxes and asked the lady if she knew tax day used to be March 15 to help people remember to pay them inorder to "beware the Ides of March." She looked at me as if I was smoking crack. No one else in the place got the ides comment either. I felt pretty dumb and muttered "Et tu, Brute?" under my breath. Another lady asked me if I really spoke such fluent French. I just agreed and thanked her for noticing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ribbit - that is kind of sad! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can I locate when I can take my plants out side?
    Tina

    ReplyDelete