Monday, May 26, 2008

May 26, 2008

Ouch, I have just been reading threads on GW and found some disturbing information on my potato bins.  First off, sorry to Shot with his ants and iffy production.  Hope the other bins are better.

Secondly, I was informed that letting so much plant grow so tall with the light hitting the stems is bad for potato production.  It may end up that I get no potatoes from my bins.  I had read from Ciscoe's site on potatoes that you let it grow 4 inches and cover all but one inch.  I swore the old site had 6 and 2, which is what I've been doing.  At this point I'm just hoping I get potatoes out of the deal. I have little choice but to continue what I'm doing.  Though next chance I get I'll burry all but the top leaves.  Grrr to say the least.

Nothing much happened in the garden today other than watering. I went to a BBQ and played with the kids. I didn't mow but I have all next week and two weeks before my youngest's 2 year birthday party is happenning here. 

Enjoy your garden!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I think you'll be fine on the potatoes -- 6 inches is also what I had previously read. But just think about what people typically do when the trench grow potatoes.... I think the bins will be fine.

    So far the only problem I've had with the bins is that when we had that 10" of rain, it just about drowned my plants. And I should not have used a bag of compost to fill my bins with. I should have used something that would better drain (like the Mel's Mix). This compost was from a bag (very poor quality too) and it just turned to mud that held the water. But I've taken every other board off the remaining bin and it seems to be doing fine for now :-) But I'm keeping a close watch on it to make sure it doesn't get too much rain/water.

    ReplyDelete