Thursday, May 8, 2008

May 8, 2008

Well, today I figured out a bit better how to use the "new-to-me" camera.  Now I can share current pics of my garden.



Here's my spinach, look how big it's grown!  Even the new leaves are getting big.  I have no idea when and how to harvest, but I'm guessing it's soon.  In the background is my succession lettuce and the first lettuce planted behind that.  Here's a close-up of my lettuce...



In the middle is the Italiensheir (I have no idea how to spell it and don't care, it tastes awesome!)  Again I have no idea when and what to pick, but I had a salad at work today and am drooling for a home made one.  In the background is a foot tall cauliflower with leaves the size of ping pong paddles. 

Someone suggested I remove the cover from my cool weather bed.  But it's doing so well with the cover on! Seriously, none of my other plants are doing anywhere near as well.  That said. I've already opened it up to allow more heat to escape to harden them off. I plan on removing the cover this weekend or next, putting it away for the season.

Ok, now here are my peas.  The shelling are growing the best...



If I am going to get a single trellis made from nylon netting across all my beds, I'd better do it quick because these babies are about to find the trellis I've got. 

I think for now I'll leave you with a blooming apple tree!  Enjoy your garden...



After dark I went back out and took my compost's temperature. Still 150 but so so small.  So I emptied my compost bucket from the house, which is mostly "brown" tissues, paper towels and paper, but also had baked potato skins left over from dinner the other night and some apple left overs.  After I dumped the junk on the pile I covered it with the grass on the sides making another high mound.  I may need to wet it down a bit because it hasn't rained in over a week. Let's hope my hose will reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment