Ahhh, I hate to say this in fear my wife may read this and get mad. But she's out of town this weekend and my in-laws graciously agreed to take the boys for the weekend (they don't get to see them often enough). So that means I have the house to myself.
Sure I miss my family tremendously, especially working as many hours as I have lately, I hardly see them as it is. That said, working so many hours has put the garden, the house and countless projects on hold. So tonight, after a leisurely evening in the heat of the day, I went out and got tons of garden projects done. Hehe it's now going on 10 and this is what I did...
- I planted my pole beans, filling all the empty holes with the best germinated seeds. Those that didn't germinate inside are garbage. Hehe I considered throwing them in the compost pile, but I don't want stuff growing in it. I also planted two of the basil sprigs that I put in water two weeks ago. They had grown little white roots. I hope they do well at 2 per SF. I put them in closest open square to the tomato plants, one foot farther away than the marigolds are (in a different bed). Tomorrow I'll try to remember to take a picture. Let's hope they survive and don't get crowded out by my broccoli or crowd out my bush beans. Boy do I have a lot to learn about spacing.
- I watered the plants and noted that my best cuke is growing decent leaves finally (the one that I unintentionally winter-sowed).
- I cut the final two 2x6 doug fir boards and installed them to the tipity top of my potato bins.
- I added 3 bags of Mel's Mix to the bins, filling completely the Yukon Gold bin. Unfortunately I want to give the Butte bin a bit more growing to get some of the plants above the wood line before I cover to the top. This time I went very slow, almost totally by hand. I highly recommend hand filling to keep from completely burrying plants. It was especially important with this bin. As you can see, it's a jungle in there!
Lastly I watered it in. I'm not quite sure how much water to give it. It drains very well, so that's a plus. It's kind of expensive to use Mel's Mix in a bin that you can't use the next year (for potatoes anyway), but at least I don't have to worry too much about overwatering since there's no bottom.
As the sun was going down, I checked the temp on my compost bin. Unfortunately it wasn't 140, the highest I found was 135. Not sure, it shouldn't have pettered out already. It's a little dry but I'd put away the hose already so I'll wet it down a bit tomorrow after I fluff it again. Maybe that's a sign it's almost done. Odd since last weekend I added those rhodie chips. Hmmm, something new I guess.
Tomorrow's supposed to be boiliing hot. I hope to get out early and do work in the yard before it gets into the 80s (that's hot for us with our constant humidity).
All in all, not bad for a day that I worked 10 hours, hehe.
Enjoy your garden!