Sunday, June 1, 2008

June 1, 2008

Wow, where did the year go?  I can't believe it's half over!

Other than watering I didn't get much chance today to do anything in the garden.  We've got carpet cleaners coming in tomorrow and need to clean for that (as well as my youngest 2nd B-Day party next weekend).  But I did snap some pics I'd like to share.

First off, I said yesterday that after I butchered my greens for a monster salad, I still had enough greens for salads for us as more grew.  Well, here's proof...



The only lettuce that doesn't seem to be growing well is the Salad Bowl on the left.  I think it's shaded too much bet they spinach and Italiansheir.  So next time I'll plant the tall lettuce on the left since the sun comes from the right.

Also, do you remember me saying that my bean leaves had some holes in them.  Well, now my broccoli, cauliflower also have holes.  It's especially interesting that the new young leaves coming up from the center have the most holes. See...



And...



The only insects I've seen in my garden area are ants (and the Spinach Miners).  Do Ants eat holes in leaves?  Is it realy bad for the plants?  Is DE in my future?

 

Lastly, here's a close-up of my potato plants. The Buttes are budding to flower, which I don't think is particularly good since I still have 2 or three levels of boards to install with more growth, hehe.



Enjoy your garden!

3 comments:

  1. My guess is slugs... they've been eating everything in my yard :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what's munching on your broccoli & cauliflower. But watch the undersides of the leaves. Aphids love to crowd under the leaves. Sometimes they are hard to detect because their color is the same as the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have holes on my cabbage that looks like that. I am so far, pesticide free and chemical free,,but I may have to use something,,,I haven't seen a bug, but it has to be there. Most of my crops are doing really good though. I guess you can't raise a perfect garden, no matter how hard you try.

    http://oursguarefootgarden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete